The common questions that I have heard from foreign people when they are traveling to Vietnam are “Is Vietnamese food healthy? What do Vietnamese people eat every day?” People do care about the food they eat in a far-away country. So, what do we – real local Vietnamese eat every day? If the question is popping up in your mind now, keep reading to find out about our surprising facts about the food in Vietnam.
IS VIETNAMESE FOOD HEALTHY?
When traveling, the most important thing is keeping yourself healthy and happy. So, it’s so essential to care whether the food you eat provides enough energy and nutrition for your trip. Coming with Vietnamese food, you do not have to worry about those things (consider clean and safe restaurants or food stalls). Vietnamese food is one of the most healthy and balanced in the world. As a Vietnamese, I have seen that dishes and ingredients used in Vietnamese cuisine can cover all the dietary needs on protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals because there is a great natural diversity of agricultural products.
Let’s take a look at Phở. It takes 10 hours to prepare the broth for Phở – the typical Vietnamese food. That’s the reason why it provides us with a huge amount of vitamins such as vitamin C, B1, B6 and Fe, Mg. Besides, we eat a lot of herbs, vegetables, and fruits every day which are a great source of fiber.
Also, the way eating food plays a significant role in the nutritional value of food. Eating with chopsticks and sharing with people allows you to eat more slowly to chew the food longer and causes better digestion of nutrients. Therefore, the social and cultural aspect of eating Vietnamese food is a reason why eating Vietnamese food is healthy.
Are you looking for a Vietnamese Food Tour which takes you to the best dishes? Let’s check the food tour selection below. The food and the friendly local buddies are so great that I can’t recommend enough
VIETNAMESE EATING HABIT
- Local people have their breakfast before 9 o’clock and prefer savory food. Instead of having breakfast at home, we eat at the food stalls on the way to work or school.
- Lunch is a nutritious meal which is usually eaten before 1pm, and usually after 12 am. People working in offices usually buy street food vendors or have the lunch boxes ordered from the restaurants. However, people usually have lunch at home with their family. Our lunch consists of fish, pork, vegetables with rice and fruit which are full of vitamins.
- A meal usually includes dipping sauce and soup (vegetable or fish soup)
- For a long time, eating out in Vietnam was not really a frequent option when it comes to local people’s eating habits. But now, it is significantly increasing.
WHAT VIETNAMESE PEOPLE EAT EVERY DAY
As I said above, Vietnamese people usually eat out in the morning. There are a variety of breakfast choices. Just go out before 9 o’clock in the morning, you can easily find stalls serving many kinds of food for breakfast. Get up late? Don’t worry, you still can get delicious foods, but fewer choices.
I have provided you with a list of some typical breakfast in Vietnam. If you want a list for a particular region, leave us a comment below.
1.Baguette stuffed with pork, various vegetables, and pate:
Cheap price (less than $1), portable (take away meal), nutritous.
– 163 Hoang Hoa Tham Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
– 39B Ly Thuong Kiet Str, Hue
– 155 Tran Cao Van Str, Hoi An
– 20 Ngo Thi Nham Str, Hanoi
– 478 Lac Long Quan, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Healthy food, eat at the stall, taste good when it’s hot, price ($1-$2).
– 11 Hang Hom Str, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
– 282 Lac Long Quan, Tay Ho District, Hanoi.
– 23 Pastuer, Hai Chau District, Danang.
– 40A Yet Kieu Str, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province.
3. Hue Beef Noodle:
Another version of Phở with stronger flavor, the best food in Hue, delicious and nutritious. ($1 -$2)
– 6 Tran Thuc Nhan, Hue.
– 24 Nguyen Khuyen, Hue.
– 19 Ly Thuong Kiet, Hue.
– 858 Huynh Tan Phat, Tan Nhuan Dong Ward, 7 District, Ho Chi Minh City.
– 108 C2, Nghia Tan, Cau Giay District, Hanoi.
4. Sticky rice with sausages or chicken
Keep you full long, tasty, portable.
– 43 Ta Quang Buu, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi.
– 628 Truong Chinh, Dong Da District, Hanoi.
– 22 Phan Chu Trinh, Hoi An City, Quang Nam Province.
– 50 Nguyen Thuong Hien, Ward 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
FOR LUNCH AND DINNER
Lunch and dinner in Vietnam are family meals. Most of the Vietnamese people enjoy meals at home with family. Everyone shares the foods, we don’t have individual portions.
Rice is our staple. The rice is nutritious and not really sticky. We eat rice with some main dishes. The food is different from the North to the South. People in the North like food with slight flavor. Spicy food is a cup of tea of people in the Middle of Vietnam while the food in the South is quite sweet. Nevertheless, some of our typical dishes are stir-fried or boiled fresh vegetable, boiled pork; simmered fish, etc. Two things cannot be missed in a meal are soup (vegetable or fish) and dipping sauce. In short, Vietnam has a variety of healthy food including vegetarian food.
If you have a chance to enjoy a traditional meal with local people, you’ll see how cozy the atmosphere is. However, if not, you still can experience one with these restaurants below:
– Cục Gạch Restaurant (9-10 Đặng Tất Str, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City)
– Hẻm Restaurant (227 – 229 – 231 – 233 Trần Văn Kiểu Str, District 6, Ho Chi Minh City)
– Secret Garden (158 Pasteur Str, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City)
– Earthenware pot rice (39A Nguyen Thai Hoc Str, Hue City)
– Lien Hoa Vegetarian Food Restaurant (3 Le Quy Don Str, Hue City)
It’s interesting to know about the cuisine of a different country and even more exciting to enjoy those foods. When you travel to Vietnam, it’s worth trying Vietnam food. We have top 10 Vietnam dishes for you. If you want to know more about Vietnam, visit us – I Love Asia Tour with many cuisine tours – definitely not disappoint you!