Both Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang are in Northern Laos. Their distance is about 114 miles or 183 km. Arranging a particular travel schedule would not waste your time with such a distance, even avoids inconveniences during your trips. If you are not sure about the best ways to travel from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang, this article can provide exactly what you need.
1. Taking an open bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
Traveling from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang by open bus takes about 6-7 hours. Maybe it takes a longer time than other vehicles, but passengers will have safer and scenic routes. You have two main options of departure, 9.30pm, and 11.30pm. Taking a night trip saves your time as the sleeping buses get you at 4.30am or 6.30am. You still continue your Luang Prabang without wasting a lot of time on bus trips. Moreover, open buses serve your beds for rest that you will not be tired of in the next day. Price range: 100 000 Kip – 130 000 Kip (12 USD – 15 USD)
2. Getting a bus or VIP bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
The bus is considered as one of the main transports from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang. Most people prefer this mean of transportation to get to Luang Prabang. It usually takes you 6 hours to get Luang Prabang by bus or VIP bus. Although the time is shorter than that of an open bus, you might also have motion sickness much more. The bus frequently starts at certain times in the day time. Find the details in the table below:
|Travel agency||Departure time||Arrival time||Price|
|Soutchai Travel||9:00am||3pm||19 USD|
3. Traveling to Luang Prabang from Vang Vieng by minivan
Like the bus, the departure time of minivan is also in the daytime. One advantage you have when taking a minivan is that it is faster than other transportations. Instead of 7 hours to get Luang Prabang, you just spend 4 or 5 hours coming there by a minivan. However, the minivan is the most expensive kind of transport. For more details about prices and exact departure, you can contact local travel agencies in Vang Vieng (provided below). Moreover, if you’re going to take the minivan, you are certain to take anti-motion sickness tablets.
4. Train and plane from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
Unfortunately, if you are looking for any train or plane trips from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang, none of them can meet your requirements. You have no these options because there is no train or flight from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang.
How to book tickets from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
You can visit some travel agencies in the town to book tickets by yourselves. Besides, you can also get your bus tickets with the aid of your hotel staffs. They will help you directly contact the booking office in faster and more convenient ways. Another way for you is booking online. These are recommended booking websites you can consider:
Useful tips while traveling from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
– Don’t forget to find out all necessary information before your bus trips.
– It’s not all travel companies are on the same services. Each one usually offers distinctive prices or departure times. Therefore, consider choosing the best one that is suitable for your schedule.
– Most travel agencies have free pick-up services from your guest house. What you need to do is carefully prepare your luggage, and then a driver takes you by tuk-tuk or shuttle to the bus station. Just keep in mind that you should come to the bus station at least 30 minutes before the departure time.
– The way to come Luang Prabang city center from the bus station:
There are two main bus stations at opposite ends of Luang Prabang city, Northern Bus Station and Southern Bus Terminal. Catching a tuk-tuk from these bus stations to come to the city center is a good idea. To travel by tuk-tuk with good fare, you could pay individually or pay in groups. For instances, if you are in a group of ten people, try to bargain for the whole group with 100.000 Kip. While drivers might offer you 30.000Kip or 40.000Kip for individual payments.
Hope that you would find your best way to get Luang Prabang from Vang Vieng. We still have many interesting activities and travel tips in Luang Prabang. Check the link out to see.